From: Thomas Drueke <tdrueke@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerging package via NFS ?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:34:44
1 Interesting approach. I'll give that a try.
2
3 Thanks,
4 Thomas
5
6 Am 15.12.2010 10:56, schrieb YoYo Siska:
7 > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:15:12AM +0100, Thomas Drueke wrote:
8 >> Hi,
9 >>
10 >> is it possible to emerge packages to a $ROOT directory mounted via NFS ?
11 >>
12 >> The setup is
13 >> - machine A is equipped with a Quad core CPU
14 >> - machine B is equipped with an N330 Atom-CPU
15 >> - machine A is doing the system update on a local chroot-environment
16 >> for machine B and generates binary packages. These packages are
17 >> installed on machine B using the binary package feature of portage.
18 >>
19 >> I expected that the above setup would give an performance improvement
20 >> over letting machine B do the portage update itself. However a trial run
21 >> did not show significant improvement that justifies the effort. Machine
22 >> B still needs a reasonable amount of time to fetch unpack and install
23 >> the packages.
24 >>
25 >> An alternative way might be to mount machine B's / directory via NFS
26 >> and change make.conf's $ROOT variable to that mount point.
27 >>
28 >> Does that sound as a reasonable approach ?
29 >
30 > I had a very old machine, that was really slow. Compiles could be
31 > offloaded by distcc, but even the ./configure-s and portage stuff
32 > (checking, upacking, ...) was reaaly slow...
33 >
34 > So I just used to export / through nfs, mounted it on a fast amd64 and
35 > basically did (other is the slow machine)
36 >
37 > mount other:/ /mnt/other
38 > mount -t proc proc /mnt/other/proc
39 > mount --bind /dev /mnt/other/dev
40 > mkdir /tmp/other
41 > mount --bind /tmp/other /mnt/other/var/tmp/portage
42 > mkdir /home/gentoo-other
43 > mount --bind /home/gentoo-other /mnt/other/home/gentoo
44 >
45 > linux32 chroot /mnt/other /bin/bash
46 > emerge.....
47 >
48 > For the last mkdir/mount, I have DISTDIR=/home/gentoo/distfiles and
49 > PKGDIR=/home/gentoo/packages in make.conf, you can do that with the
50 > standart /usr/portage/{distfiles,packages}
51 >
52 > This way most of the compile is done "localy" on the fast machine.
53 > yoyo
57 >> Regards,
58 >> Thomas