From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerging package via NFS ?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:02:47
1 On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:15:12AM +0100, Thomas Drueke wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > is it possible to emerge packages to a $ROOT directory mounted via NFS ?
5 >
6 > The setup is
7 > - machine A is equipped with a Quad core CPU
8 > - machine B is equipped with an N330 Atom-CPU
9 > - machine A is doing the system update on a local chroot-environment
10 > for machine B and generates binary packages. These packages are
11 > installed on machine B using the binary package feature of portage.
12 >
13 > I expected that the above setup would give an performance improvement
14 > over letting machine B do the portage update itself. However a trial run
15 > did not show significant improvement that justifies the effort. Machine
16 > B still needs a reasonable amount of time to fetch unpack and install
17 > the packages.
18 >
19 > An alternative way might be to mount machine B's / directory via NFS
20 > and change make.conf's $ROOT variable to that mount point.
21 >
22 > Does that sound as a reasonable approach ?
23
24 I had a very old machine, that was really slow. Compiles could be
25 offloaded by distcc, but even the ./configure-s and portage stuff
26 (checking, upacking, ...) was reaaly slow...
27
28 So I just used to export / through nfs, mounted it on a fast amd64 and
29 basically did (other is the slow machine)
30
31 mount other:/ /mnt/other
32 mount -t proc proc /mnt/other/proc
33 mount --bind /dev /mnt/other/dev
34 mkdir /tmp/other
35 mount --bind /tmp/other /mnt/other/var/tmp/portage
36 mkdir /home/gentoo-other
37 mount --bind /home/gentoo-other /mnt/other/home/gentoo
38
39 linux32 chroot /mnt/other /bin/bash
40 emerge.....
41
42 For the last mkdir/mount, I have DISTDIR=/home/gentoo/distfiles and
43 PKGDIR=/home/gentoo/packages in make.conf, you can do that with the
44 standart /usr/portage/{distfiles,packages}
45
46 This way most of the compile is done "localy" on the fast machine.
47 yoyo
51 > Regards,
52 > Thomas