From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 02:58:24
1 On Sep 27, 2011 9:51 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On 26 September 2011 03:19, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
7 wrote:
8 > > > Or skip the net config/init scripts stuff and just use something like
9 wicd.
10 > >
11 > > Getting a manager to write your wpa_supplicant.conf for you (in
12 > > effect), has been the right way of configuring wifi for the average
13 > > user for years now. It's a real shame that this isn't promoted more in
14 > > the gentoo handbook and/or the Wifi guide.
15 > >
16 > > I added a patch to the wifi guide a while back, but I really find the
17 > > gentoo documentation workflow so over-burdening that I usually work on
18 > > gentoo-wiki instead. It's pretty dispiriting to see people using
19 > > troublesome tools when there's better ways out there :(
20 >
21 > If I am correct, wic only works if you have gnome -- what if you have a
22 > server or a computer without gnome or kde?
25 The homepage says that a GUI is not needed, one can use wicd-curses to
26 manage things interactively.
27
28 That said, servers really shouldn't have any wlan* interface. Especially
29 enterprise-y ones.
30
31 For servers, init.d hacking should be more suitable.
32
33 Rgds,