From: Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using python 2.7
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 00:20:29
1 On 11/05/14 00:01, Dale wrote:
2 > Paige Thompson wrote:
3 >> Sorry for the dumb message, I figured out how to use eselect python (the
4 >> syntax is a little weird and not very well documented.) This fixed my
5 >> issue as near as I can tell.
8 > For future reference, make sure nothing depends on whatever version of
9 > python you want to remove before you remove it. If you don't, it could
10 > get very interesting in a really bad way. Python is one of those
11 > packages that you have to watch out for gotchas on. It sometimes comes
12 > back and bites you.
13 >
14 > Dale
15 >
16 > :-) :-)
17 >
18 I don't think I removed it, just figured out how to change it with
19 eselect. Here's what I mean:
22 laptop#eselect python
23 Usage: eselect python <action> <options>
24
25 Standard actions:
26 help Display help text
27 usage Display usage information
28 version Display version information
29
30 Extra actions:
31 list List installed Python interpreters
32 --python2 List installed Python 2 interpreters
33 --python3 List installed Python 3 interpreters
34 set <target> Set main active Python interpreter
35 --python2 Set active Python 2 interpreter without
36 setting of main active Python interpreter if it is not set to Python 2
37 --python3 Set active Python 3 interpreter without
38 setting of main active Python interpreter if it is not set to Python 3
39 show Show main active Python interpreter
40 --ABI Show Python ABI in format of PYTHON_ABI
41 variable
42 --python2 Show active Python 2 interpreter
43 --python3 Show active Python 3 interpreter
44 update Switch to the most recent CPython interpreter
45 --if-unset Do not override existing implementation
46 --ignore SLOT Ignore SLOT when setting symlinks
47 --python2 Set active Python 2 interpreter without
48 setting of main active Python interpreter if it is not set to Python 2
49 --python3 Set active Python 3 interpreter without
50 setting of main active Python interpreter if it is not set to Python 3
51 laptop#
54 From this information I wouldn't expect :
55
56 laptop#eselect python set python2.7
57 laptop#
58
59 To have been correct... since it lists --python2 and --python3 below
60 "set" in the help but:
61
62 laptop#python --version
63 Python 2.7.7
64 laptop#
65
66 It does, and thats pretty much all I needed. No need to unmerge anything
67 but the thought did cross my mind and if I were going to I would've made
68 a binpkg first.
69
70 Thanks,
71