From: Andrew MacKenzie <amackenz@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Detecting 64 bit Intel chips
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:01:36
1 +++ Chris Brennan [gentoo-user] [Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 11:36:47AM -0500]:
2 > Here is the output of my cpuinfo, I'll point out where it will mean
3 > 64bit. For the sake of this demonstration, I have only pasted one (1) CPU.
4 >
5 > xaero@Leviathan ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
6 > processor : 0
7 > vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
8 > cpu family : 15
9 > model : 75
10 > model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ <-- Here
11 > will be your first indication. 64 bit processors, weather they are
12 > SPARC, AMD or intel, must identify themselves clearly in the model name
13 > field.
14 They do identify themselves, but they may not indicate 64 vs. 32 bit.
15
16 From my Core2 running 64-bit:
17 processor : 3
18 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
19 cpu family : 6
20 model : 15
21 model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
22 stepping : 11
23 cpu MHz : 2400.000
24 cache size : 4096 KB
25 physical id : 0
26 siblings : 4
27 core id : 3
28 cpu cores : 4
29 fpu : yes
30 fpu_exception : yes
31 cpuid level : 10
32 wp : yes
33 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
34 cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
35 lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est
36 tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
37 bogomips : 4799.96
38 clflush size : 64
39 cache_alignment : 64
40 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
41 power management:
45 // Andrew MacKenzie | http://www.edespot.com
46 // GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key
47 // You will remember, Watson, how the dreadful business of the
48 // Abernetty family was first brought to my notice by the depth which the
49 // parsley had sunk into the butter upon a hot day.
50 // -- Sherlock Holmes