From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with all these "acct-group" ebuilds recently?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 05:07:05
1 On 6/20/20 7:04 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 >
3 > On 21/6/20 9:40 am, Daniel Frey wrote:
4 >> On 6/20/20 6:21 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 7:06 PM Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Maybe when I have a moment I'll file a bug.
8 >>
9 >> Dan
10 >>
11 > Thanks for filing the bug.  One of my pet peeves is that the last few
12 > years gentoo has been going down the path of spitting everything into
13 > smaller and smaller pieces and scattering them around - its fine when
14 > things work, but becomes a real pig to fault find and more often ends up
15 > in a call for help.  I would really like packages to be self contained
16 > so its configuration and files are all in one place.  I cant see any
17 > advantage to having multiple ebuilds for a package instead of using a
18 > support framework to deal with it other than exposing multiple
19 > opportunities for things to go wrong and make it harder to fix. This not
20 > an elegant design!
21 >
22 > BillK
27 They were trying to solve the problem of having multiple packages
28 dependent on a single user/group - mariadb/mysql comes to mind.
29
30 By having these types of packages depend on something in the tree they
31 can prevent the condition of having to remove the user/group when
32 another package may still depend on it. It's kind of the opposite to the
33 virtual/* packages I think, or maybe that's the beer talking.
34
35 Dan