From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev read,write problem
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 04:01:21
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 05:06:13PM +0200, Jonas Geiregat wrote
2 > When I startup my system I need to loing as root and run chmod a+rw
3 > /dev/* else I have problems login in or starting multiple shells I'm
4 > using udev anyone got any idea what could cause the problem ?
5
6 A quick-n-dirty solution is to comment out every line in...
7 /etc/security/console.perms
8
9 A more permanent correction is to get rid of PAM entirely. Note that
10 if you're used to running under PAM, running without it turns into an
11 "everything you know is wrong" scenario. Many security&authentication
12 settings will be handled by different files. If you're used to running
13 under shadow (i.e. *NOT* PAM) then running under PAM will be an
14 "everything you know is wrong" scenario.
15
16 If you don't know what PAM is, and you've only recently installed
17 Gentoo, you might want to consider removing PAM. This has to be done
18 verrrry carefully. http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Remove_PAM has the
19 instructions for doing so.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
23 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca