From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sipix Pocket Printer A6
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 22:03:17
1 >>> I can get the Sipix Pocket Printer A6 installed in CUPS and it will
2 >>> get about 20% through a CUPS test page, but it always stops in the
3 >>> same spot and the LED just blinks.
4 >>
5 >> Does it do the same with standard printing jobs? I ask because I have an
6 >> Epson printer that failed on the CUPS test page, no matter what I tried,
7 >> but then I tried printing a photo from KDE and it worked perfectly.
8 >
9 > It works!  The thing just needed new batteries.  For anyone else
10 > reading this, flashing LED = replace batteries.
11 >
12 > It has a few problems:
13 >
14 > 1. The printer doesn't show up in Print dialogs.  It shows up in
15 > localhost:631 and prints the test page and via lpr.  Why wouldn't it
16 > show up in the Print dialogs?  Is it because it's a serial printer?
17 >
18 > 2. I'm using a USB->serial converter and I get a permissions error
19 > when trying to print unless I chmod /dev/ttyUSB0.  The file shows up
20 > before chmod as:
21 >
22 > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp
23 >
24 > The problem with chmod is it resets after unplug/plug.  My user is in
25 > the uucp group.  How can I enable printing after unplug/plug without
26 > chmod?
27 >
28 > 3. lpr doesn't work unless I set:
29 >
30 > # export CUPS_SERVER=localhost
31 >
32 > which resets after reboot.  This wouldn't really be a problem if I
33 > could get #1 fixed above because then I could use the Print dialogs
34 > instead of lpr.
35 >
36 > 4. The printer feeds a lot of paper before it starts to print.  Should
37 > that be fixed in the .upp or .ppd?
38 >
39 > 5. Quality isn't great, but there's probably not much to do about that.
40 >
41 > - Grant
42
43 I should include info about how I got it to work. Just follow the
44 Gentoo Printing Guide and additionally emerge foomatic-filters-ppds
45 (if it is not already pulled in by cups) and psutils. After adding
46 the printer at localhost:631, the device URI should look like this:
47
48 serial:/dev/ttyUSB0?baud=115200+bits=8+parity=none+flow=hard
49
50 Although your serial port device file would be different if you're
51 using a real serial port instead of a USB->serial adapter. The device
52 URI can be verified and edited in /etc/cups/printers.conf. Restart
53 cups after editing that file.
54
55 The sipixa6.upp file is required and is included with ghostscript-gpl
56 which should be pulled in by foomatic-filters which should be pulled
57 in by foomatic-filters-ppds.
58
59 - Grant