From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sipix Pocket Printer A6
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:07:37
1 >> I can get the Sipix Pocket Printer A6 installed in CUPS and it will
2 >> get about 20% through a CUPS test page, but it always stops in the
3 >> same spot and the LED just blinks.
4 >
5 > Does it do the same with standard printing jobs? I ask because I have an
6 > Epson printer that failed on the CUPS test page, no matter what I tried,
7 > but then I tried printing a photo from KDE and it worked perfectly.
8
9 It works! The thing just needed new batteries. For anyone else
10 reading this, flashing LED = replace batteries.
11
12 It has a few problems:
13
14 1. The printer doesn't show up in Print dialogs. It shows up in
15 localhost:631 and prints the test page and via lpr. Why wouldn't it
16 show up in the Print dialogs? Is it because it's a serial printer?
17
18 2. I'm using a USB->serial converter and I get a permissions error
19 when trying to print unless I chmod /dev/ttyUSB0. The file shows up
20 before chmod as:
21
22 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp
23
24 The problem with chmod is it resets after unplug/plug. My user is in
25 the uucp group. How can I enable printing after unplug/plug without
26 chmod?
27
28 3. lpr doesn't work unless I set:
29
30 # export CUPS_SERVER=localhost
31
32 which resets after reboot. This wouldn't really be a problem if I
33 could get #1 fixed above because then I could use the Print dialogs
34 instead of lpr.
35
36 4. The printer feeds a lot of paper before it starts to print. Should
37 that be fixed in the .upp or .ppd?
38
39 5. Quality isn't great, but there's probably not much to do about that.
40
41 - Grant