From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:10:15
1 On 01/29/2012 12:04 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3
4 >> A single USB thumb drive for $20 would likely hold every floppy he
5 >> ever made, and maybe 10-20 times more. Why waste time making & sorting
6 >> through CDs, etc?
7
8 > Hmmmm, super point. May suggest that. I got to boot something to see
9 > what this rig has in it. It may be a older system. I'm pretty sure I
10 > saw USB tho.
11 >
12 > I bet USB has a better life span than floppies too.
13
14 Boy that's the truth. All of my three (working) old machines still have
15 floppy drives, but my next one won't. And good riddance, too. Last
16 time I made a floppy boot disk (years ago) I had to format about a dozen
17 floppies before I found a good one :p
18
19 BTW, the floppy drives I have don't send any interrupt when I insert a
20 disk, so automounting is a non starter. Maybe the newer USB external
21 floppy drives do, dunno, but I'm not tempted to try one.