From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new install for a new mainboard?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 21:54:16
1 On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 4:18 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 12/10/20 7:18 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >> I need a new mainboard. What will happen if I boot my existing system
6 > >> on it?
7 > > Is the CPU going to be the same? The responses already cover the
8 > > mainboard itself well. If the CPU could change then you need to check
9 > > your -march in CFLAGS for compatibility (if you set it) and
10 > > potentially rebuild anything you don't want to break.
13 > How would I do that? Would I have to set up a cross-compiler toolchain?
14
15 Nope, just remove -march from your CFLAGS (maybe change it to -mtune)
16 and emerge -e @world (or @system if you don't care if non-system
17 packages are broken on the new system).
18
19 It is only necessary if you're switching CPUs. If you're using -march
20 then your binaries are not guaranteed to run on ANY CPU other than the
21 one specified, and you'd be surprised how non-backwards-compatible
22 CPUs can be. With gcc the -march option tells the compiler that it
23 can use any instruction it can to optimize things, including ones that
24 are very uncommon on other CPU models. -mtune makes optimizations but
25 the code will run on any CPU for that architecture.
26
27 You can try to find a least-common-denominator CPU but it usually
28 isn't worth the hassle.
31 Rich