From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to get raid
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 01:47:11
2 > > Me too.
3 > >
4 > > mdadm --detail /dev/md0 thinks that /dev/sdc1 is faulty.
5 > > I'm not sure whether it's really faulty, or just that my setup for RAID
6 > > is screwed up.
7 > >
8 > > How do I get rid of an existing /dev/md0?
9 >
10 > you stop it. Override the superblock with dd.. and lose all data on the disks.
14 > > I'm thinking that I can try creating a RAID1 array using the two
15 > > allegedly good disks and see if I can make that work.
16 >
17 > yeah
20 > > If that works, I'll get rid of it and try recreating the RAID1 with one
21 > > good disk and the one that mdadm thinks is faulty.
24 > you don't have to. You can migrate a 2 disk raid1 to a 3 disk raid5. Howtos
25 > are availble via google.
28 > just saying - box in suspend to ram. I change the cable (and connector on
29 > mobo) on a disk with two raid 1 partitions on it.
30 >
31 > One came back after starting the box.
32 >
33 > The other? Nothing I tried worked. At the end I dd'ed the partition.. and did
34 > a complete 'faulty disk/replacement' resync....
35 >
36 > argl.
39 OK, so lesson learned. Just because it builds correctly in a RAID1
40 array, that doesn't mean that the drive isn't toast.
41
42 I ran badblocks on the three drive components and, surprise,
43 surprise, /dev/sdc came up faulty. I think I'll just build the two
44 non-faulty drives as a RAID0 array until the hard drive prices come back
45 down to pre-Thailand flood prices and backup regularly.
46
47 Thanks for all the help.
48
49 Jeff