From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:40:20
1 On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Lorenzo Bandieri
2 <lorenzo.bandieri@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Maybe slightly OT, but what do gentoo-users think about Tor?
4
5 As an anonymising proxy, in my opinion, I consider it to be the most
6 hostile network one could ever use. I would only use Tor from within a
7 virtual machine that contains no other data. Ensure you are not
8 passing logins, cookies, credit card numbers, anything useful to "bad
9 guys" is of utmost importance. I would encrypt everything prior to
10 sending, if possible. Validate SSL fingerprints first off-network to
11 avoid MITM attacks.
12
13 If you're looking at it from the standpoint of hidden services, with
14 good end-to-end security maybe it would be a little safer than using
15 it to browse the open internet... I think something like Freenet, in
16 concept, would be even more secure since it is decentralized, does not
17 touch the open WWW at all, and nobody has to host content on a server,
18 but in practice the bandwidth requirements are insane, and the moral
19 ambiguity of hosting content that is not yours and could be
20 objectionable. The terabytes of UDP traffic every month will probably
21 draw unwanted attention to you, too...
22
23 Of course, people where the government is more of a threat than Tor
24 hackers/poisonous nodes might be willing to live with those risks.
25
26 BTW, on my servers, I receive a lot of exploit attempts from Tor exit
27 nodes. This could also give plausible deniability to black hats: "Oh,
28 I didn't do this illegal stuff, I was running as a Tor exit node, it
29 could have been anyone!"