From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Finally got my Acer Aspire 4551 notebook 100% functional
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:07:13
1 On Tuesday 22 February 2011 21:51:43 walt wrote:
2 > On 02/22/2011 09:51 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > I finally got my Acer 4551 100% functional under 64-bit Gentoo linux.
4 >
5 > Congratulations :)
6 >
7 > > Thanks to various people on various linux forums who spelled out the
8 > > answers, and also to "Mr. Google" for helping me find them. There are
9 > > several tweaks that are required to get things working...
10 >
11 > Thank you for the excellent write-up. I still don't have a laptop or a
12 > notebook just because I expect to suffer a lot of pain before I could
13 > actually use it for anything, and you've just confirmed my suspicions :)
14 >
15 > By the time I read the last of your 'several' tweaks, my blood pressure
16 > must have been 250 because I can definitely feel your pain.
17 >
18 > Thanks for sharing :)
19
20 Thanks indeed to Walter for providing such a detailed howto - now time to
21 repeat in the wiki ;-)
22
23 I don't think that it is particularly painful to get a laptop to work (well,
24 most of the time). You can get a laptop up and running with a full desktop
25 within a day or so, but it will of course take longer to troubleshoot pesky
26 devices/drivers and bespoke configurations. That can happen over a period of
27 days/weeks when free time is available. The frustration of course comes when
28 you want to use something urgently, which you have not configured yet! :-))
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick