From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want my xmms
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:28:14
1 On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:23 -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > mplayer has some problems that xmms doesn't.
5 >
6 > Whenever a lot of hard-drive activity takes place on
7 > my PC, mplayer faulters and sputters. I have to run
8 > xmms if I want uninterrupted music. And this is a
9 > fairly up-to-date unit with a Gig o' RAM.
10 >
11 > If I want shuffle mode I must first open xmms, shuffle
12 > the playlist and save it before using it in mplayer
13 > cause shuffle mode in mplayer only plays a few tunes
14 > over and over.
15 >
16 > With xmms it's easy to cue up as many tunes as I like.
17 > Haven't been able to do that in (g)mplayer.
18 >
19 > xmms has a neat feature that lets you arrange the
20 > playlist in the order the dir was filled allowing you
21 > to hear your tunes in the order they were acquired.
22 > Cause, naturally, I prefer to hear the newer tunes
23 > more that the older ones. How do I do that with
24 > mplayer?
25 >
26 > mplayer *can* play wmas, so that's a plus.
27 >
28 > Maxim
29
30 Will audacious not work for you?