From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TOR-Browser Bundle: And the rest was silence...
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 07:38:42
1 On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 14:13:33 -0800 Willie Matthews wrote:
2 > On 02/06/2016 10:08 AM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I got a interesting problem:
6 > >
7 > > When using Firefox 44, I can watch Videos for
8 > > example from YouTube and can hear the audio.
9 > >
10 > > When using the newest TOR-Browser bundle, videos
11 > > are playing fine...but without any sound.
12 > >
13 > > I have no clue, what happens here.
14 > >
15 > > Any help to fix that is very appreciated...
16 > > thank you very much in advance!
17 > >
18 > > Best regards,
19 > > Meino
24 > It is a lot easier to use the tor network by installing net-misc/tor and
25 > setting up the proxy on whatever browser you use.
26 >
27 > For instance I use Chrome. I setup a shortcut on my desktop that gives
28 > me a a new incognito window that is using the proxy for all connections
29 > and the /tmp/chrome directory for the user directory.
30 >
31 > [Desktop Entry]
32 > Version=1.0
33 > Type=Application
34 > Name=Chrome with Tor
35 > Comment=Start Chrome with Tor
36 > Exec=google-chrome-beta --incognito
37 > --proxy-server="socks5://127.0.0.1:9050" --user-data-dir="/tmp/chrome/"
38 > Icon=google-chrome-unstable
39 > Path=
40 > Terminal=false
41 > StartupNotify=false
42 >
43 > I haven't had any problems using it this way so far. I hope that you
44 > will have the same results.
45
46 Be aware of privacy issues with such setup. Your browser may leak
47 DNS requests, e.g. use standard system calls and they will be sent
48 over casual network (not TOR), thus your provider will know what
49 resources your are visiting as well as owner of DNS service you use.
50 Chrome may leak other data in background as well.
51
52 While such background traffic can be redirected to tor using tsocks
53 and iptables, this is not very trivial task. That is why tor browser
54 is useful: it does such stuff for you by ensuring that all browser
55 traffic is going via tor. You may use torbrowser overlay to use
56 this package in Gentoo.
57
58 Best regards,
59 Andrew Savchenko