From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what is overloaded my X server?
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:06:08
1 > 2009/11/25 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>:
2 >> Hi,
3 >>
4 >> on one of several machines and only occasionally
5 >> my X-server (/usr/bin/X) takes nearly 100% CPU.
6 >> I have killed some applications but this didn't help
7 >> unless I killed X itself and restarted it.
8 >>
9 >> Is there any way to find out what is hogging my X server?
12 Another thing worth note is what version of the kernel you are running
13 versus how updated X is. I noticed when I migrated to libxcb under a
14 2.6.27 kernel that X starts running much more slowly for strange cases
15 (like when audio is running, for example, X hogs the processor).
16
17 I don't have a lot of insight as to how to determine which program
18 makes X run hot, except for running very few things in X and starting
19 a program and keeping an eye on something like top.
20
21 But, in any case, another solution may be to keep the kernel updated
22 if you are running the latest X software.
23
24 ~daid