From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot failure using root=LABEL=RAID1root but not LABEL=RAID6root
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:11:04
1 On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >
5 > Mark.
6 >
7 > I seem to remember that to be able to use LABEL for the root= line requires an init* as you need userspace utilities to read the labels.
8 >
9 > You could try the UUIDs instead. But I am not sure if that might work.
10 >
11 > HTH
12 >
13 > Joost
14 >
15 > PS. All the best for 2013!
16 > --
17 > Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
20 I don't know if you're right but it makes sense. If I need e2label to
21 read labels from the CLI then I probably need all the same stuff in
22 the initramfs which this one doesn't have.
23
24 The problem I have with that idea is that all I put in the RAID6 which
25 does have an initramfs is e2fsck, not e2label or anything else.
26 However maybe e2fsck has that capability and that's why it's working?
27
28 Good catch!
29
30 Thanks, and best wishes for the new year and a safe New Year's eve to all.
31
32 Cheers,
33 Mark