From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: elog default lifespan
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 00:21:59
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Saturday 19 Nov 2016 08:54:53 Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> After looking thru the portage man pages, the make.conf.example in
5 >> /usr/share/portage/config, and the `Portage log wiki' it still is not
6 >> clear to me how long elogs are kept if you use the `save' flag in
7 >> make.conf or not.
8 >>
9 >> I did see something about '7 days' but it was not clear if that is the
10 >> default and `save' over-rides it or what. Or if there is another flag
11 >> that controls there duration...
12 >>
13 >> Can anyone throw light on that?
14 >
15 > If you have logrotate then its configuration and associated cron jobs will take
16 > care of that.
17
18 What I want to know is if the elog program will do something on its
19 own... I'm wanting to hang on to the logs a good while... I saw
20 something in my readings about the elog system about 7 days... was not
21 clear if that is a defalult or what.
22
23 So my fear was losing them even if I am logrotate at them in some
24 capacity. So I'm asking about inside the elog program... what happens
25 to the logs and when.