From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building an initramfs into the kernel
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 23:06:21
1 On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 12:48:38 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > On the mdadm list one comment came up which was to make sure
4 > my mdadm.conf file was up to date and then include it in the initramfs
5 > image so that if for some reason the machine doesn't boot I have all
6 > the info required to start the RAIDs by hand. I thought that was a good
7 > comment.
8
9 That is a good idea.
10
11 > One other question came up. So I build the kernel, and the kernel build
12 > creates the initramfs image and embeds it in the kernel. Is there a tool
13 > that would allow me to query the embedded image prior to booting
14 > so that I can check that everything is in there that I think should be
15 > in there?
16
17 Yes. I had to do this once when I corrupted or deleted my init.sh and
18 needed to retrieve it from the kernel. I don't remember the details, but
19 I do recall it involved one of the scripts in the kernel source
20 directory and the use of Google - although not in that order :)
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 "I am a Cub Ranger. We dib dib dib for the One. We dob dob dob for the
27 One."