From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building an initramfs into the kernel
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:50:03
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 07:58:34 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >> 2) Contained executables, as I understand them, either need to be
6 >> built with the static flag or you have to include all the libraries.
7 >> Static seems simpler so (in my case) should I rebuild mdadm &
8 >> e2fsprogs with +static? (I don't currently use lvm or any crypt stuff)
9 >
10 > Yes.
11 >
12 <SNIP>
13
14 I've done that, played a bit with ldd to see the changes, etc., and it seems to
15 make sense.
16
17 On the mdadm list one comment came up which was to make sure
18 my mdadm.conf file was up to date and then include it in the initramfs
19 image so that if for some reason the machine doesn't boot I have all
20 the info required to start the RAIDs by hand. I thought that was a good
21 comment.
24 > Most of it is debug stuff that I haven't used since I first started using
25 > it.
26
27 OK, it's a good example of a more complete init script so that's helpful.
28 Thanks!
29
30 One other question came up. So I build the kernel, and the kernel build
31 creates the initramfs image and embeds it in the kernel. Is there a tool
32 that would allow me to query the embedded image prior to booting
33 so that I can check that everything is in there that I think should be in
34 there?
35
36 Scanning around online I found discussion about lsinitramfs but I
37 haven't found it in portage yet. dracut has lsinitrd. genkernel doesn't
38 have anything like it. And even if I found it I think it only works for
39 stand alone initramfs files.
40
41 Thanks,
42 Mark