From: "Roger J. H. Welsh" <rjhwelsh@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loading Issue
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 09:15:12
1 MIME-Version: 1.0
2 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed
3
4 Dr Rainer,
5
6 Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com> writes:
7 > So instead of pressing the "1" key umpteen times (plus one time
8 > too oft-
9 > en, ARGH :-) it's probably really easier to boot from a live CD.
10 I certainly agree with you on this, I was really just posing a
11 quick fix
12 for OP. I actually have a sysrescue disk in my boot partition,
13 which I
14 can choose from the GRUB menu when things break at home.
15
16 > And the privileged shell offered here is also restricted in
17 > that it is
18 > only usable for the minority of 330 million people using a US
19 > keyboard
20 > layout, while the vast majority of 7.4 billion people NOT
21 > using a US
22 > keyboard layout will most probably not even manage to enter
23 > their pass-
24 > word :-(
25 Personally, if I was debugging my openrc, I would probably try out
26 rc_interactive
27 for options 1, 2 and 3; if I was thinking of doing anything like
28 4, I would rather drop
29 to a LiveCD.
30
31 When things go bad, go with what you know works. ;)
32
33 On another note, I don't see the "keymaps" rc-service when I use
34 rc-status. Is there any chance it is loaded before the other
35 services?
36 Or alternatively, is there any way to set it as the first service
37 that
38 starts? Does anyone listening know?
39
40 I'm just curious now.