From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loading Issue
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 13:04:38
1 Roger,
2
3 On Wednesday, 2020-02-19 09:51:20 +1300, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > rc_interactive means I can press "I" or "i" during boot and
7 > INTERRUPT
8 > the boot process; *otherwise* it will boot as per normal.
9 >
10 > Is that not the behaviour you are seeking?
11
12 Speaking not for the original poster but only for me:
13
14 In a mathematical sense it surely is, because the interactive interface
15 you are confronted with allows you not to start any services you're dis-
16 liking. In a practical sense it surely requires more than patience, be-
17 cause for each and every service available the user will be prompted to
18 enter a number:
19
20 1. Start this sevice.
21 2. Skip this service.
22 3. Start all remaining services.
23 4. Start a privileged shell.
24
25 So instead of pressing the "1" key umpteen times (plus one time too oft-
26 en, ARGH :-) it's probably really easier to boot from a live CD.
27
28 And the privileged shell offered here is also restricted in that it is
29 only usable for the minority of 330 million people using a US keyboard
30 layout, while the vast majority of 7.4 billion people NOT using a US
31 keyboard layout will most probably not even manage to enter their pass-
32 word :-(
33
34 Sincerely,
35 Rainer