From: Jack Byer <ftn768@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:00:45
1 Dale wrote:
2 >> I came to Gentoo from Linux From Scratch because I wanted something more
3 >> user friendly when it came to keeping track of package dependencies and
4 >> compilation procedures.
9 > That is how I describe Gentoo, Linux from Scratch with a package manager
10 > and other neat tools. I think Gentoo is about as close to that as it
11 > gets. We all know portage is getting really good and full of features
12 > over the past few years. I may not agree with Zac on some recent
13 > default settings but he sure has pushed portage a long long ways
14 > forward. If only Gentoo could wash dishes now. File a feature request
15 > on b.g.o? LOL
16
17 I just came across a perfect example of why I started using Gentoo rather
18 than LFS in the src_prepare() function of the openssh ebuilds. Look at all
19 that complexity that someone else dealt with for you so that emerge Just
20 Works.