From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 04:43:11
1 Jack Byer wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 >
4 >> This. Very much this. My dive into Gentoo came as I was fed up with
5 >> Debian and Ubuntu having buggy and/or outdated versions of multimedia
6 >> encoding packages while trying to configure a box specced for live
7 >> transcoding of h.264 to something my PS3 would like.
8 >>
9 > I came to Gentoo from Linux From Scratch because I wanted something more
10 > user friendly when it came to keeping track of package dependencies and
11 > compilation procedures.
16 That is how I describe Gentoo, Linux from Scratch with a package manager
17 and other neat tools. I think Gentoo is about as close to that as it
18 gets. We all know portage is getting really good and full of features
19 over the past few years. I may not agree with Zac on some recent
20 default settings but he sure has pushed portage a long long ways
21 forward. If only Gentoo could wash dishes now. File a feature request
22 on b.g.o? LOL
23
24 Dale
25
29 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!