From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: modules in use
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 00:51:32
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 22:32:23 +0100, Sebastian Günther wrote:
3 >
4 >> The third column of lsmod is headed with Used by and consists of a
5 >> number and a list of modules which use it.
6 >>
7 >> Everything with a 0 is not used.
8 >
9 > Not true. Anything with a 0 is not used by another module. That's not the
10 > same as not used.
11
12 I think a 0 indicates that it's not used at all. For example, lsmod
13 here says:
14
15 Module Size Used by
16 oss_audigyls 21888 0
17 osscore 554244 1 oss_audigyls
18
19 If I start Amarok and play a tune, lsmod says:
20
21 Module Size Used by
22 oss_audigyls 21888 4
23 osscore 554244 3 oss_audigyls
24
25 Note that after the "4" is nothing. That probably means it is used, but
26 *not* by a module? That would mean that 0 means really totally unused
27 by anything.