From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: modules in use
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 01:15:36
1 On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 02:51:02 +0200
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 22:32:23 +0100, Sebastian Günther wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> The third column of lsmod is headed with Used by and consists of a
8 > >> number and a list of modules which use it.
9 > >>
10 > >> Everything with a 0 is not used.
11 > >
12 > > Not true. Anything with a 0 is not used by another module. That's
13 > > not the same as not used.
14 >
15 > I think a 0 indicates that it's not used at all. For example, lsmod
16 > here says:
17 >
18 > Module Size Used by
19 > oss_audigyls 21888 0
20 > osscore 554244 1 oss_audigyls
21 >
22 > If I start Amarok and play a tune, lsmod says:
23 >
24 > Module Size Used by
25 > oss_audigyls 21888 4
26 > osscore 554244 3 oss_audigyls
27 >
28 > Note that after the "4" is nothing. That probably means it is used,
29 > but *not* by a module? That would mean that 0 means really totally
30 > unused by anything.
31
32 I see the same kind of thing, using alsa instead of oss. But Whatever
33 the 0's mean, the output of lsmod won't be enough to help the OP, who
34 really wants to be able to tell what modules are *needed*.
35
36 $ lsmod | grep iwl
37 iwl4965 185000 0
38 mac80211 112076 1 iwl4965
39
40 It's certainly possible that my wireless driver is not being used by
41 anything at any given microsecond, but this post won't get off my
42 computer without that driver being used.
45 »Q«
46 Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.