From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Initramfs or move /usr to /, oh my...
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 02:40:13
1 On 03/18/2012 04:31 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mar 19, 2012 5:31 AM, "walt" <w41ter@×××××.com
4 > <mailto:w41ter@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On 03/18/2012 11:52 AM, walt wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> The other nifty hint was to add "panic=10" as a kernel parameter
9 >>> in grub.conf (menu.lst) so that your remote system will reboot in
10 >>> 10 seconds if the kernel panics during boot. That will let you
11 >>> test (remotely) if a kernel parameter like "noinitrd" breaks your
12 >>> machine.
13 >>
14 >> Heh. I learn a lot from reading my posts -- when I figure out why
15 >> my first reply was wrong :p
16 >>
17 >> Now that I've thought about it, I assume you have only ssh access
18 >> to your remote machine, so you can't see the grub boot prompt,
19 >> right?
20 >>
21 >> Maybe the remote machine doesn't even pause at the boot prompt
22 >> because no one is there to watch it? I'm curious how remote
23 >> servers work in real life because in my next life I wanna come back
24 >> as a sysadmin :)
27 > When I started administering remote servers, Citrix's XenServer is
28 > Good Enough™ to deploy in production, so now it's the first thing I
29 > install on a virgin box, even if said virgin box will host only one
30 > VM.
31 >
32 > This provides me with a usable Virtual Console through which I can
33 > watch the boot process.
34
35 Bless you Pandu, you just answered a question I didn't ask (yet :)
36
37 My workplace recently began providing us (peons) access to its Holy
38 Intranet even when we are (shamefully) not actually in the workplace.
39
40 When I use firefox to access their intranet I have no problems: I
41 see a small popup dialog box that announces that Citrix is allowing
42 me to see a window containing an instance of M$ Internet Explorer,
43 which is displaying the intranet web page I clicked on in firefox,
44 (which is running on my gentoo desktop, of course).
45
46 I can see that this whole process starts a java vm running in the
47 background, so I suppose that the Citrix app (whatever it is) is
48 a java applet started by my firefox browser.
49
50 But, when I try to access the same intranet web page with google
51 chrome, it hangs forever instead of starting the Citrix app.
52 (Other java-powered websites work normally with google chrome.)
53
54 Does any/all of this suggest that their web servers are running the
55 same Citrix XenServer you speak of?