From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Initramfs or move /usr to /, oh my...
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:32:45
1 On Mar 19, 2012 5:31 AM, "walt" <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 03/18/2012 11:52 AM, walt wrote:
4 >
5 > > The other nifty hint was to add "panic=10" as a kernel parameter in
6 > > grub.conf (menu.lst) so that your remote system will reboot in 10
7 > > seconds if the kernel panics during boot. That will let you test
8 > > (remotely) if a kernel parameter like "noinitrd" breaks your machine.
9 >
10 > Heh. I learn a lot from reading my posts -- when I figure out why
11 > my first reply was wrong :p
12 >
13 > Now that I've thought about it, I assume you have only ssh access to
14 > your remote machine, so you can't see the grub boot prompt, right?
15 >
16 > Maybe the remote machine doesn't even pause at the boot prompt because
17 > no one is there to watch it? I'm curious how remote servers work in
18 > real life because in my next life I wanna come back as a sysadmin :)
21 When I started administering remote servers, Citrix's XenServer is Good
22 Enough™ to deploy in production, so now it's the first thing I install on a
23 virgin box, even if said virgin box will host only one VM.
24
25 This provides me with a usable Virtual Console through which I can watch
26 the boot process.
27
28 Rgds,