From: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS and user IDs
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 20:32:11
1 On 09/06/18 18:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I feel like this is something that Windows natively gets "better" than
3 > POSIX. They have a concept of UIDs being specific to a machine or
4 > authentication server (or domain as they call it), and this concept is
5 > enforced at the host level. That said, I'm sure this approach has its
6 > downsides as well, in particular it is certainly more complex and at
7 > work we practically forbid any kind of windows ACLs at anything other
8 > than the top mount level because it is so hard to control.
9
10 Windows is better than POSIX?! That doesn't say much for POSIX then,
11 seeing as I feel Windows ACLs are overly complex and difficult!
12
13 Okay, ACLs assume a directory structure, which have serious problems
14 with Unix hard links, so I can understand the two features not mapping
15 on to each other very well. In particular, if an object does not have a
16 specific acl, it's supposed to inherit from its parent, but if you have
17 hard links which parent does it inherit from?
18
19 The system I used which had ACLs, I *think* when you logged in to any
20 machine, you could tell it to authenticate against a different machine
21 so it must have had some machine/identity pair.
22
23 Then ACLs were simplicity itself as well, because they were
24 user,group,other. If a user was named, that was what they got. If they
25 weren't named, they got the sum of all the groups they belonged to. And
26 if none of their groups were named, they just got the other permissions.
27
28 So if you wanted someone to get LESS than the sum of their groups, you
29 just gave them personally what you wanted, and that was that.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Wol