From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT: Any truth to this mess?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:01:56
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 04:26:02 -0600
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Howdy,
6 >>
7 >> I ran across this and though it was a joke. Did a news search and
8 >> sure enough, it is reported in lots of places. Random linky:
9 >>
10 >> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102856/Will-FBI-shut-Internet-March-8-virus-concerns.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
11 >>
12 >> Is there any truth to this mess? My bigger and better question, how
13 >> is shutting down the internet going to fix this? When the net comes
14 >> back up, they are still going to be infected. Right?
15 >>
16 >> I'm glad I run a really nice Linux OS.
19 > Gawd, I hate it when morons write sensational articles that attempt to
20 > make sense to other morons. You get crap like that.
21 >
22 > So if this is legit, and I'm not saying it is, what happened is this:
23 >
24 > The malware changes the DNS cache settings on infected machines,
25 > sending the user to rogue caches. The FBI captured some (or all) of
26 > these rogue caches and (possibly) tried to fix them. A court has now
27 > said those rogue caches must now be shut down.
28 >
29 > So if the morons reading the article do nothing, on March 8 the DNS
30 > caches they use will be down. The user's DNS will not work.
31 >
32 > OMFG!!!!!!! Da intartubes is broken!!!!!
33 >
34 > <sigh>
35 >
36 > Instead, why not just set the DNS caches to something NOT owned by Ivan
37 > The Russian Spammer?
38 >
39 > And no, the intartubes will NOT be switched off.
42 I don't really think they can unless they just cut power to all the
43 computers. After all, the internet is supposed to be redundant right?
44 If there is a few computers still running that have a connection, it is
45 still working. Sort of anyway.
46
47 Does make one wonder tho. They have been talking about having a
48 internet "off switch" but I'm not sure it would be that easy.
49
50 Dale
51
55 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
56 how you interpreted my words!
57
58 Miss the compile output? Hint:
59 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"