From: Jacques Montier <jacques.montier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32 or 64 bits, CFLAGS and kernel settings ?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 17:40:47
1 Thank you for your answers.
2 Ok Volker, i am going to the archive ;-)
3
4 Cheers,
7 Jacques
8 Site web <https://sites.google.com/site/jacquesfr35/>
9 Le 27/12/2010 18:27, Dale a gentiment tapote:
10 > Jacques Montier wrote:
11 >> Hi all,
12 >>
13 >> I am waiting for a new PC...
14 >> motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
15 >> Intel Core i7 950
16 >> 4Go DDR
17 >> Gforce GT240
18 >>
19 >> I use Gentoo for nearly 8 years, and of course, it will be Gentoo on
20 >> that new pc.
21 >> Besides desktop working, i am going to study and produce some image and
22 >> video synthesis.
23 >> I have some questions :
24 >> 32 bits or 64 bits ? advantages and inconvenients ?
25 >> What CFLAGS have i to choose and what about kernel settings (Processor
26 >> type and features) ?
27 >>
28 >> Thank you very much for your advices,
29 >>
30 >> Cheers,
31 >>
32 >> --
33 >> Jacques
34 >> Site web<https://sites.google.com/site/jacquesfr35/>
38 > I just built me a new rig so I just went through the same thing. This
39 > is how I did mine. I booted a CD/DVD and used "lspci -k | grep
40 > driver" to list the drivers in use. That helps a lot. With that, you
41 > can use the search feature when doing the kernel config.
42 >
43 > I went with 64 bit and used a miltilib profile. So far, everything is
44 > working fine. All my usual websites are working and everything. This
45 > is my USE flags:
46 >
47 > USE="-a52 -acl acpi alsa -arts automount auto-hinter avahi -bluetooth
48 > -branding bzip2 cddb cdr chroot cleartype clucene corefonts -crypt
49 > cups curl dbus -doc dri -dts dvd dvdr -eds escreen esd exif fdftk
50 > -fftw -gcj gif gimp gkrellm -gnome gnutls gphoto2 gtk hal hbci hddtemp
51 > ipv6 -jabber -jingle java javascript jbig jpeg2k justify kde libwww
52 > logrotate loop-aes mng mplayer mp3 mdnsresponder-compat -musepack
53 > mysql nls nsplugin ofx offensive opengl -oss -otr parport pdf
54 > policykit ppds ppp qt3 qt3support qt4 sasl seamonkey semantic-desktop
55 > *smp* -sqlite -sqlite3 syslog tcl -theora *threads* tiff tk truetype
56 > type1 udev usb -v41 webkit win32codecs wma wmf X aml yahoo -xulrunner
57 > zeroconf *mmx sse sse2 3dnowext 3dnow*"
58 >
59 > I put the ones that I changed in bold for you. Don't copy and paste
60 > that since the * may mess up portage. Since this list is supposed to
61 > be text only, I had to make them bold with the *.
62 >
63 > Since you are using a nvidia card, read this too.
64 >
65 > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118109
66 >
67 > Basically, enable CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel. The nvidia driver
68 > won't load without that. I have the following built into my kernel:
69 >
70 > Symmetric multi-processing support
71 > Enable MPS table
72 > AMD IOMMU support
73 > MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support
74 > Preemption Model (Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop))
75 >
76 > There are others but I think that is all that is different.
77 >
78 > That get you started?
79 >
80 > Dale