From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32 or 64 bits, CFLAGS and kernel settings ?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 17:30:31
1 Jacques Montier wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I am waiting for a new PC...
5 > motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
6 > Intel Core i7 950
7 > 4Go DDR
8 > Gforce GT240
9 >
10 > I use Gentoo for nearly 8 years, and of course, it will be Gentoo on
11 > that new pc.
12 > Besides desktop working, i am going to study and produce some image and
13 > video synthesis.
14 > I have some questions :
15 > 32 bits or 64 bits ? advantages and inconvenients ?
16 > What CFLAGS have i to choose and what about kernel settings (Processor
17 > type and features) ?
18 >
19 > Thank you very much for your advices,
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 >
23 > --
24 > Jacques
25 > Site web<https://sites.google.com/site/jacquesfr35/>
29 I just built me a new rig so I just went through the same thing. This
30 is how I did mine. I booted a CD/DVD and used "lspci -k | grep driver"
31 to list the drivers in use. That helps a lot. With that, you can use
32 the search feature when doing the kernel config.
33
34 I went with 64 bit and used a miltilib profile. So far, everything is
35 working fine. All my usual websites are working and everything. This
36 is my USE flags:
37
38 USE="-a52 -acl acpi alsa -arts automount auto-hinter avahi -bluetooth
39 -branding bzip2 cddb cdr chroot cleartype clucene corefonts -crypt cups
40 curl dbus -doc dri -dts dvd dvdr -eds escreen esd exif fdftk -fftw -gcj
41 gif gimp gkrellm -gnome gnutls gphoto2 gtk hal hbci hddtemp ipv6 -jabber
42 -jingle java javascript jbig jpeg2k justify kde libwww logrotate
43 loop-aes mng mplayer mp3 mdnsresponder-compat -musepack mysql nls
44 nsplugin ofx offensive opengl -oss -otr parport pdf policykit ppds ppp
45 qt3 qt3support qt4 sasl seamonkey semantic-desktop *smp* -sqlite
46 -sqlite3 syslog tcl -theora *threads* tiff tk truetype type1 udev usb
47 -v41 webkit win32codecs wma wmf X aml yahoo -xulrunner zeroconf *mmx sse
48 sse2 3dnowext 3dnow*"
49
50 I put the ones that I changed in bold for you. Don't copy and paste
51 that since the * may mess up portage. Since this list is supposed to be
52 text only, I had to make them bold with the *.
53
54 Since you are using a nvidia card, read this too.
55
56 http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118109
57
58 Basically, enable CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel. The nvidia driver won't
59 load without that. I have the following built into my kernel:
60
61 Symmetric multi-processing support
62 Enable MPS table
63 AMD IOMMU support
64 MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support
65 Preemption Model (Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop))
66
67 There are others but I think that is all that is different.
68
69 That get you started?
70
71 Dale