From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:19:24
1 On 2010-11-17, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:48:30 +0000, David W Noon wrote:
3 >
4 >> >Surely what `./configure` does if I don't make any choice about its
5 >> >compilation option is to be considered a "default"?
6 >>
7 >> Gentoo ebuilds do not run ./configure without options, unless there are
8 >> no options available.
9
10 That's irrelevent. You said upstream doesn't come with a "default"
11 configuration. We're saying it does, and that it's defined by the
12 default options in the configure script. Even if Gentoo doesn't use
13 that default configuration it doens't meant that it doesn't exist.
14
15 > No, but they generally set the USE defaults to give the same settings
16 > as running ./configure with none. In other words, they are following
17 > the upstream defaults.
18
19 We seem to be going around in circles. :)
20
21 The merits of using HAL for Xorg config aside, I am still curious
22 about where the "default" configuration for a package comes from. Is
23 there a written policy somewhere that tells devs how to set the
24 default USE flags?
27 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm having a MID-WEEK
28 at CRISIS!
29 gmail.com