From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:42:29
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 23:18 on Wednesday 17 November 2010, Grant
2 Edwards did opine thusly:
3
4 > > No, but they generally set the USE defaults to give the same settings
5 > > as running ./configure with none. In other words, they are following
6 > > the upstream defaults.
7 >
8 > We seem to be going around in circles. :)
9 >
10 > The merits of using HAL for Xorg config aside, I am still curious
11 > about where the "default" configuration for a package comes from. Is
12 > there a written policy somewhere that tells devs how to set the
13 > default USE flags?
14
15 All the clues are in
16
17 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/index.html
18
19 but it requires a gigantic dose of brain smarts and think-for-yourself.
20 Developers of any sort have to be in the upper-IQ range of humanity (otherwise
21 they couldn't develop shit) so this is a fairly safe assumption.
22
23 You will notice that the tree contains relatively few Gentoo-maintained patch
24 files (compared to say Ubuntu and Red Hat). Gentoo prefers to get patches from
25 upstream or some other distro. The manual is full of references to get patches
26 and bugs registered and fixed upstream instead of in the tree.
27
28 Now, the only sane way this could work in a sane ecosystem is to track
29 upstream as close as possible while not breaking things. An ebuild maintainer
30 sets the USE flags in whatever suitable way {,s}he feels like to make that
31 come about. The entire spirit in which the manual is written communicates that
32 concept strongly.
33
34 Very little of this is documented in an idiot-tree do-this-now-do-that fashion
35 because:
36
37 a. our devs are not idiots.
38 b. our devs are assumed to have smarts upstairs.
39 c. our devs are assumed to only pretend to be pedantic geeky gits who nit-pick
40 about words, and not to actually *be* like that their entire life 24/7/365/75.
41 In other words, they can think with a concept and not need instructions.
42 d. they do not need a manual to know how to breathe either. Same principle.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com