From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VNC question
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:11:20
1 On 11 Apr 2009, at 10:13, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
2 > ... the MAC-Screenshare VNC Client gave a warning about 'not so
3 > good authentication' so it seems apple might after all have a
4 > proprietary
5 > extension in there.
6
7 It's worth mentioning that the original GPL, AT&T sponsored VNC
8 offered no encryption (except perhaps as https in the browser-based
9 Java version?). The last I heard was that work had ceased upon it,
10 following the termination of AT&T sponsorship, but that some of the
11 authors had started their own company selling VNC-based solutions.
12 Their new products are used by at least one company that sells KVM-IP
13 switches, but I believe they are all closed & proprietary. I think
14 more than one OSS / 3rd-party VNC project have, as a consequence,
15 added encryption, but I don't believe that any of them are
16 compatible. :(
17
18 It really is a shame, IMO. VNC brought us cross-platform
19 screensharing, but without encryption one is reluctant to use it
20 outside the LAN.
21
22 Stroller.