From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which package contains NAME uninstalled tool
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:10:09
1 On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:00:06 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > How can a user tell which package an uninstalled tool is in?
4
5 Asking here is one way.
6
7 > For example. I want to make an xfs file system. It turn out I have
8 > no mkfs.xfs.
9
10 > I find these in my portage tree: sys-fs/xfsdump and xfsprogs.
11
12 It's the latter.
13
14 > Neither sound like they would contain mkfs.xfs. But if they do, how
15 > can I determine that? I see no list of files or the like in their
16 > prospective directories and no commandline flags for esearch that look
17 > like they do that either.
18
19 Because the files installed by a package depend on the USE flags and
20 platform, it is not possible to produce a definitive list of what each
21 package installs, unlike with a binary distro.
22
23 You can search http://packages.debian.org or http://rpmfind.net to see
24 which package includes the file on other distros . That should give you a
25 good idea of where to look.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.",