From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Strange behaviour of google certificates.
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 15:57:54
1 Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> writes:
4 > > So, I am using Claws Mail that downloads e-mails from several
5 > > google mail accounts (all are mine :) and about once or twice
6 > > in a month get into the situation when Claws asks me to verify
7 > > and change the google certificates, first in one direction and
8 > > soon after that (usually during the next downloading of my e-mails)
9 > > - in another.
10
11 > > I suspect that it is google that makes something wrong here.
12 > > What do you think?
13
14 > The 2 servers probably have different certificates, which is why you
15 > get this behaviour. I suggest going into "apk mode" and putting an
16 > entry into your hosts file <G>, like...
17
18 > 173.194.192.108 pop.gmail.com
19
20 > This will force your system to always use the same server, and avoid
21 > the re-validation every time you hit the other server from the one you
22 > used the previous time.
25 Clusters & Clouds are the sort answer. Everybody (big) is now racing to
26 deploy services; often as if a single IP or dns record or domain name,
27 yet underneath is a cluster of many, many machines. The security is,
28 well, let's just say evolving to be kind. I have no idea about your
29 particular situation; but I've been reading up on cluster and cloud
30 for months now, so here are a few links you might find interesting.
31 Hopefully that illuminate that services that are traditionally single
32 machine bound, are now on top of clusters of machines; and that is
33 a hack-a-day-patch-away scenario that is very fast moving. YMMV [1,2,3].
36 Mesos is the cluster technology that I follow (or at least try to).
37 I'm trying to get a full set of codes and mesos into the portage tree.
38 If nothing else, folks can use (3+) old machines to build a cluster
39 to see where we are all moving to (clouds and cluster), like it or not,
40 imho.
43 hth,
44 James
45