From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should I install pulseaudio to solve my phonon audio problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:22:01
1 On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Michael Trausch <mike@×××××××.us> wrote:
2 > Tested and verified w/ at least Rhythmbox and Banshee. Have offered a bounty
3 > for years for anyone who fox the bug. There are open, confirmed bugs in (at
4 > least) Launchpad going back quite some time, too. Happens regardless of
5 > hardware, but have had it happen on SB Live and several onboards.
6
7 Do you have links to the bugs?
8
9 > The only time I ever got 5.1 working was with straight ALSA, but then I
10 > don't get upmixing.
11 >
12 > As a result, I have been using netradio. No closing and opening of the audio
13 > device.
14 >
15 > Also, canberra (the sound notification library) seems to actually output
16 > sound correctly, but I think it holds the device open the whole time.
17
18 I have libcanberra compiled with PA support, so I can use it with
19 other sound sources at the same time.
20
21 > PA isn't changing the configuration back to stereo. It shows 5.1, but media
22 > players only output to two speakers until I open the PA control and jump
23 > from 5.1 to 4.1 and back.
24
25 And the players output to PulseAudio directly or through the ALSA
26 emulation? In GNOME 2 you could configure GStreamer (which both
27 Rhythmbox and Banshee use) to use PulseAudio as default sink, or using
28 ALSA; but it PA is running, newer versions will automagically detect
29 it and use it [1]. I use GNOME 3 and PA is mandatory, so I don't
30 remember exactly how it was.
31
32 Sorry for my curiosity, but it sounds really weird: I have heard a lot
33 about PA problems, but nothing like this.
34
35 [1] http://arunraghavan.net/2012/02/gentoo-pulseaudio-alsa-update/
36 --
37 Canek Peláez Valdés