From: Michael Trausch <mike@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should I install pulseaudio to solve my phonon audio problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:09:17
1 Tested and verified w/ at least Rhythmbox and Banshee. Have offered a
2 bounty for years for anyone who fox the bug. There are open, confirmed bugs
3 in (at least) Launchpad going back quite some time, too. Happens regardless
4 of hardware, but have had it happen on SB Live and several onboards.
5
6 The only time I ever got 5.1 working was with straight ALSA, but then I
7 don't get upmixing.
8
9 As a result, I have been using netradio. No closing and opening of the
10 audio device.
11
12 Also, canberra (the sound notification library) seems to actually output
13 sound correctly, but I think it holds the device open the whole time.
14
15 PA isn't changing the configuration back to stereo. It shows 5.1, but media
16 players only output to two speakers until I open the PA control and jump
17 from 5.1 to 4.1 and back.