From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Greylisting vs. reject_rbl_client
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:44:49
1 Grant wrote:
2 > Do you think the reject_rbl_client stuff is safer than greylisting?
3 >
4 > - Grant
5
6 1. Blacklists have the HIGHEST false positive rate of any anti-spam
7 technique other than sending all mail to /dev/null. 34%
8 http://www.paulgraham.com/falsepositives.html
9
10 2. Blacklists block the least amount of spam. 24%
11 So it's wrong more often than right.
12
13 3. All Blacklists are run by jackasses. Yes, even the ones you like.
14 http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/8_1143551
15 http://www.peacefire.org/anti-spam/group-statement.5-17-2001.html
16 http://www.networkworld.com/research/2001/0910feat.html
17
18 and far too much personal experience*
19
20 In my experience over the past two to three years greylisting and
21 simple header checks have blocked 99% of spam before it gets to the
22 queue and generated less admin overhead with false positives and other
23 nonsense. I'd call its accuracy a solid 99.9% since I've only had to
24 whitelist three sets of servers over the years, YMMV. It might not be
25 99.9 for everyone, but it will be far better than blacklisting. There
26 are some quirks with greylisting, but overall it's been very effective
27 without much downside.
28
29 I can't say enough bad things about blacklisting.
30
31 kashani
32
33 * The first ISP I worked for actually hosted public.com which has
34 probably been the most hijacked domain ever. It's a fun Monday morning
35 when some moron decided to block your entire ISP without actually
36 looking at the headers. It gets slightly less fun the fifth and sixth
37 time it happens. Homicide is considered when they assume they are
38 automatically right, are as rude as possible to you, and then stall for
39 a day before they grudgingly remove you.
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list