From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] vmware virtual disk expanded but invisible in VM
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:15:42
1 On Tuesday 01 April 2008, fei huang wrote:
2 > thank you for the reply, actually I've heard about this solution, and
3 > tried to use resize2fs to expand my filesystem (ext3), the problem is
4 > I didn't know how to use it, what does the "new size" parameter mean?
5 > the additional size or the new complete size?  and the device must be
6 > a partition rather than the whole disk, otherwise, it complains "Bad
7 > magic number in super-block", and for a partition, it complains size
8 > not match or too large. any ideas?
9
10 You have to resize the "thing" on which the filesystem resides. In other
11 words, this is the first parameter you would supply when mounting it.
12 If your filesystem is a whole disk, then you resize the disk. If it's a
13 partition, then supply the partition device node as parameter. Similar
14 with LVM volumes, raid volumes or whatever other gadget your filesystem
15 is on.
16
17 resize2fs is quite smart, if you don't supply a size, it expands the
18 filesystem to take up the entire device. Let's say the filesystem is
19 on /dev/sda3, you would then just do:
20
21 resize2fs /dev/sda3
22
23 Don't worry about unmounting the device or anything like that, growing a
24 filesystem can be done live and on-line
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list