From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [was cross-compile attempt] 32bit chroot
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 05:30:04
1 On Tuesday 02 Aug 2016 00:33:57 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 01:11:24AM +0200, Jeremi Piotrowski wrote
3 >
4 > > Does it make sense to compile your own versions of these packages
5 > > and then binary merge, when portage already contains binary ebuilds
6 > > for these packages? (firefox-bin/libreoffice-bin/google-chrome)
7 >
8 > I've got an underpowered netbook that needs all the help it can get.
9 > I build in the VM with...
10 >
11 > -O2 -march=bonnell -mfpmath=sse -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
12 > -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables
13 >
14 > Even older desktops benefit. One case in point is my former Dell
15 > D530 Core2 Duo. When Gentoo had been installed, it could not keep up
16 > with the slowest stream of NHL Gamecenter Live. Everything was generic
17 > x86 with SSE2 thrown in, from the stage3. After re-emerging system and
18 > world optimized for the machine's cpu, it could keep up with not only
19 > the lowest quality stream, but a medium-quality stream. So yes, it
20 > helps.
21 >
22 > From http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Safe_Cflags#-march.3Dnative to
23 > find out exactly what your cpu is, run the following command on the
24 > *TARGET* machine...
25 >
26 > gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
27 >
28 > Ignore the flag output, which may be over-optimistic. Just look at
29 > what it says for "-march=".
30
31 Yes, I've had similar experiences here with own built binaries being faster
32 than generic *-bin packages offered by portage. The 32bit box in question is
33 running a single core Pentium4 ... I could bet it feels slower than my
34 AppleTV1 with its 1.00GHz Pentium-M. :-)
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick