From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [was cross-compile attempt] 32bit chroot
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 04:34:41
1 On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 01:11:24AM +0200, Jeremi Piotrowski wrote
2
3 > Does it make sense to compile your own versions of these packages
4 > and then binary merge, when portage already contains binary ebuilds
5 > for these packages? (firefox-bin/libreoffice-bin/google-chrome)
6
7 I've got an underpowered netbook that needs all the help it can get.
8 I build in the VM with...
9
10 -O2 -march=bonnell -mfpmath=sse -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables
11
12 Even older desktops benefit. One case in point is my former Dell
13 D530 Core2 Duo. When Gentoo had been installed, it could not keep up
14 with the slowest stream of NHL Gamecenter Live. Everything was generic
15 x86 with SSE2 thrown in, from the stage3. After re-emerging system and
16 world optimized for the machine's cpu, it could keep up with not only
17 the lowest quality stream, but a medium-quality stream. So yes, it
18 helps.
19
20 From http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Safe_Cflags#-march.3Dnative to
21 find out exactly what your cpu is, run the following command on the
22 *TARGET* machine...
23
24 gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
25
26 Ignore the flag output, which may be over-optimistic. Just look at
27 what it says for "-march=".
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
31 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications