From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, linuser@××××.us
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Add in cards?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:43:08
1 On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:05:41 -0600, Dave Erickson <linuser@××××.us> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 08:53 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3
4 > > Sometimes these reputations are very old and hard to live down. Intel
5 > > also made chipsets that clearly didn't do PCI correctly at one time.
6 > > They got past it. My thought is that Via's reputation may be worse
7 > > than today's reality...
8 >
9 > I had an older BX board with a Via chipset. Then I saw an article
10 > somewhere (/. or maybe tomshardware?) that said Via chipsets had
11 > problems with the PCI bus.
12 >
13 > I checked and it was true. But I hadn't noticed it until then so take
14 > that for what it's worth.
15
16 I'm sure what you saw was real, for that Via chipset, but not
17 necessarily for all Via chipsets. If we still had access to Intel
18 Saturn or Neptune chipsets I could show you problems with Intel also.
19
20 Whether the same chipset in a later revision, or a newer Via chipset,
21 has the same problem is not clear. That's my only point here. Via has
22 problems. Intel has problems. SiS has problems. (Lots of problems!)
23 Right now I'm using an ATI chipset in this laptop. It seems to have a
24 couple of compatibility problems. It's the nature of semiconductor
25 design. However, over time these things tend to get fixed so I don't
26 limit myself to saying that one specific company is 'bad' at PCI. (Or
27 anything else.)
28
29 Heck - the chip designer that did your chipset and caused problems,
30 knowingly or unknowingly, probably no longer work at Via anymore
31 anyway! ;-)
32
33 - Mark
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list