From: Dave Erickson <linuser@××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Add in cards?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 18:06:04
1 On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 08:53 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:49:38 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 > <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > no, there is a problem with VIA and PCI in general, not promise related.
6 > >
7 > > If you want to use your pci-bus for more than moving data to the soundcard,
8 > > via has a long history of pci-quirks that makes it a dubious choice for a
9 > > stable environment. That is all. I do not trust via boards.
10 >
11 > Interesting. I have no such experience. I use multiple Via boards
12 > today and have no trouble with the ones I own. Certainly the problem
13 > could be out there but I haven't experienced it.
14 >
15 > Sometimes these reputations are very old and hard to live down. Intel
16 > also made chipsets that clearly didn't do PCI correctly at one time.
17 > They got past it. My thought is that Via's reputation may be worse
18 > than today's reality...
21 I had an older BX board with a Via chipset. Then I saw an article
22 somewhere (/. or maybe tomshardware?) that said Via chipsets had
23 problems with the PCI bus.
24
25 I checked and it was true. But I hadn't noticed it until then so take
26 that for what it's worth.
30 Dave Erickson <linuser@××××.us>
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list