From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Add in cards?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:54:10
1 On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:49:38 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > no, there is a problem with VIA and PCI in general, not promise related.
5 >
6 > If you want to use your pci-bus for more than moving data to the soundcard,
7 > via has a long history of pci-quirks that makes it a dubious choice for a
8 > stable environment. That is all. I do not trust via boards.
9
10 Interesting. I have no such experience. I use multiple Via boards
11 today and have no trouble with the ones I own. Certainly the problem
12 could be out there but I haven't experienced it.
13
14 Sometimes these reputations are very old and hard to live down. Intel
15 also made chipsets that clearly didn't do PCI correctly at one time.
16 They got past it. My thought is that Via's reputation may be worse
17 than today's reality...
18
19 Cheers,
20 Mark