From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Add in cards?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:50:10
1 On Sunday 05 December 2004 17:22, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:15:08 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > On Sunday 05 December 2004 03:45, Jerry McBride wrote:
6 > > > Would anyone recommend an add-in IDE card for the PCI bus? In
7 > > > particular, I'd like to add four more IDE hard drives to my server.
8 > > >
9 > > > Thank you, in advance.
10 > > >
11 > > > Jerry
12 > >
13 > > as long as you are not using via-boards, you should be fine.
14 > >
15 > > btw, aren't the promise-drivers closed source?
16 >
17 > There is no fundamental problem that makes Promise cards fail on Via
18 > boards. I use them together under Windows and Linux.
19
20 no, there is a problem with VIA and PCI in general, not promise related.
21
22 If you want to use your pci-bus for more than moving data to the soundcard,
23 via has a long history of pci-quirks that makes it a dubious choice for a
24 stable environment. That is all. I do not trust via boards.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list