From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Umasking media-tv/mythtv-0.28?
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 01:07:52
1 On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:48 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 05 Dec 2016 21:58:55 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson@×××.org> wrote:
4 >> >> From: Rich Freeman
5 >> >> Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2016 12:14 PM
6 >> >>
7 >> >> The other issue is that my mythtv front-end died shortly after I got
8 >> >> it into the tree, and I've ended up moving off of mythtv.
9 >> >
10 >> > Bummer; out of curiosity, how are you satiating your media needs now?
11 >>
12 >> I ended up on Plex (after being sufficiently annoyed with a brief
13 >> trial of Kodi). It was something I had been contemplating in any case
14 >> as my cable provider was starting to cut off non-encrypted cablecard
15 >> access to more and more channels (used to be just the premiums which I
16 >> didn't get anyway, but when I couldn't record something on the
17 >> National Geographic channel I felt they had crossed a line). The
18 >> hardware issue just pushed me over the line. That, and trying to get
19 >> mythtv working on a pi3 was turning into a bit of a project and I had
20 >> a dropping WAF at the time.
21 >
22 > Out of interest, what annoyed you on Kodi?
25 It has been a little while. I think the UI in general was a little
26 annoying (not a lot of TV-based UIs that worked well from across a
27 living room, especially for somebody with poor vision). However, the
28 biggest pain was the media scanning. I found that Kodi had a lot of
29 trouble matching stuff without NFO files, and Plex seems to get it
30 right on the first shot 98% of the time. That is a major help.
33 Rich