From: Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using python 2.7
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 02:00:34
1 On 11/05/14 01:32, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Nov 04 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx> wrote:
6 >>>> RIP python 3
7 >>>>
8 >>>> how do I get rid of it
9 >>> It's possible that you can't. Some (or many) packages could depend on
10 >>> Python 2.7 because they don't work with Python 3.x. You can check that
11 >>> with:
12 >>>
13 >>> equery depends dev-lang/python:2.7
14 >>>
15 >>> In my main system (full GNOME 3 desktop), 174 packages depend on
16 >>> Python 2.7. Some of them probably can be made to work only with Python
17 >>> 3.x, but I'm willing to bet that the majority doesn't.
18 >>>
19 >>> Maybe in the future, but I don't think it will be possible for at
20 >>> least a few years.
21 >>>
22 >>> Regards.
23 >> I believe the OP wants to keep 2.7 and ditch 3.
24 > Right. Even so, that's going to be even more difficult as long as more
25 > and more packages switch to Python 3. Which is happening really
26 > slowly, but happening nonetheless.
27 >
28 > Regards.
29 Yeah right.. this is not going to change any faster than people are
30 going to abandon dual homing ipv4 and ipv6 let alone ipv4 all together.
31 Absolutely hopeless, some people just cannot be convinced (shouldn't be
32 allowed to use a computer) a lot of people simply don't have the time. I
33 foresee python being dual stack indefinitely without cross compatibility.
34
35 When the day comes and you prove me wrong, I owe you $20. But... the
36 need for python 2.7 has to be COMPLETELY eliminated and just saying "RIP
37 Python2.7 or gtfo" doesn't count coming from any source.
38
39 -Paige